Physical therapy, also known as physiotherapy, is used as a method of optimizing quality of life and movement. It is a health profession concerned with treatment to physical means suffering from various diseases and disabilities. Physiotherapists are trained to diagnose, identify, and assess treatment plans to develop and restore the individual’s flexibility & mobility.
Benefits & Importance of Physiotherapy
There are numerous occasions in which physiotherapy could be used and benefited from. It is undoubtedly one of the key segments in the medical stream which has also become intriguing to people due to the advantages.
- Pain relief in orthopedic cases like frozen shoulder, arthritis, tendonitis, muscle tear, sprains, etc.
- Improvement of range in motion in cases of post fracture stiffness due to surgeries. Physiotherapy certainly helps improve motion in joints and strengthens muscles enabling to carry out daily activities as usual.
- There are certain medical conditions for which a surgery is required however can be avoided with the support of physiotherapy. Another plus point is that this reduces post surgery complications as well.
- Strengthening of muscles prior to a surgery.
- Ability to reverse effects from stroke on limbs.
- Increase in body balance therefore risk reduction of fall.
- Sports injury rehabilitation.
- Control of diabetes as a result of physical activity and control.
- Management of heart and lung diseases clearing secretion and congestion.
- Support patients in Intensive Care Units with prevention of bedsores.
- Women health support in terms of labor.
Many physiotherapy clinics located around the world follow a ‘Patient Centered Care’ system where the individual is educated regarding the condition he or she is facing. The dedicated performance physiotherapists discuss the assessment in detail for patient to have a better comprehension. They will take the patient through the available options, entire treatment process and its results stage by stage so that the patient is allowed to make an informed decision at the end of the session. This collaborative method is available also at physiotherapy Geelong . The method has shown beneficial results for the patients and the process comprises of the services listed below.
- Pre- employment assessments
- Sport and injury screening assessments
- Domiciliary home visits
- Support healthy lifestyle changes
Types of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy could mainly be categorized into two namely, Orthopedic and Neurological. Under orthopedic physiotherapy, patients with minor neuro – muscular – skeletal lesions could go through a short term session whereas patients suffering from conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, major fractures in hip, spine need extensive sessions of long term physiotherapy. The neurological physiotherapy part is further divided in to Geriatric, Cardiopulmonary and Pediatric sections. The focus patient groups in these sub categories are respectively elderly, patients with respiratory problems and children.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Physiotherapy Clinic
It is important to consider following points when there is a requirement to choose a physiotherapy clinic
- Convenient hours
- Private treatment rooms
- Ethical billing
- Availability of registered physiotherapists
- One on one ratio